Rare Recipe from Elm Grove Country House, Pembrokeshire
Elm Grove is noted for its use of fresh, locally produced ingredients to produce tasty, traditional dishes. Elm Grove is also reknown for its breakfasts having won the Silver Award at the 2011 Pembrokeshire Tourism Awards for Finest Pembrokeshire Breakfast.
Rustic Chicken (serves 4)
- 1 large red onion
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 sprigs of rosemary (or 1 tsp of dried rosemary)
- ½ a glass of white wine
- 0.5ltr of tomato juice
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 3 cubed mushrooms (optional)
- 3 Pembrokeshire new potatoes cubed (optional)
- Chop the garlic and onion and cook in a pan with olive oil until golden.
- Add the rosemary (pull off stalk before adding if using fresh rosemary) and stir for 2 minutes.
- Cut the streaky bacon into cubes and add to the pan and stir until cooked.
- Dice up the chicken breasts and add to the other ingredients in the pan and stir until chicken has coloured.
- Add wine, tomato juice and tomato puree and give a good stir.
- Cook on a low heat for 20 - 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to season.
- If using these add in the mushrooms and potatoes with the wine and tomato juice for an even chunkier dish.
- Serve with vegetables and rice.