Rare Recipe from The Castle Hotel and Restaurant, Aberaeron
With Cardigan Bay on the doorstep, fresh fish is always a key feature on the menu at The Castle, along with high quality meat from the farms of Ceredigion.
Fish Stew (serves 4 - 5)
- 1 fillet of cod
- 1 fillet of salmon
- 1 fillet of smoked haddock
- 150g Spanish onion
- 150g red pepper
- 1 red chilli (deseeded)
- 100ml olive oil (extra virgin)
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch cracked black pepper
- Small bunch chopped basil
- 25ml white wine
- 30g black olives
- 200ml tinned plum tomatoes
- Dash of tomato paste
- 100ml fish stock
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Finely dice the onion, chilli, and olives. Cut the peppers into 1 inch pieces.
- Sweat the ingredients in extra virgin olive oil for 3 minutes, add the tomato puree and chopped plum tomatoes.
- Then, add the white wine, fish stock together with 300ml water and the rest of ingredients.
- Bring the fish stew base to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the diced fish to the stew base and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Check seasoning.