Fennel and Sausage Casserole
Rare Recipe from Venetia Restaurant with Rooms, Abersoch
Wherever possible Venetia's chef/proprietor Marco Filippi and his team source local produce, including Aberdaron crab and Cardigan Bay scallops. A varied menu is offered throughout the year reflecting the seasons and taking inspiration from Marco's Italian father’s heritage.
Fennel and Sausage Casserole (serves 4)
- 8 fennel sausages (if you can't find any most decent sausages will do)
- 2 carrots
- 1 white onion
- ½ a leek
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette
- A pinch of flakes chilli
- A good sprig of thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 700ml passata
- 300ml chicken stock
- A glass of white wine
- 2 tbsp good olive oil
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- A handful of fresh basil
- Brown off the sausages in a casserole dish with the olive oil. Remove when browned.
- Chop all the vegetables into 2cm squares.
- Sweat off the vegetables slowly.
- Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaves and chilli flakes.
- De-glaze with the wine.
- Add the chicken stock and passata and place the sausages back in.
- Cook for 45 minutes - 1 hour on 190°C.
- Finish with fresh basil leaves.