Café de Cymru Mushrooms
Rare Recipe from Elm Grove Country House, Pembrokeshire
Elm Grove is noted for its use of fresh, locally produced ingredients to produce tasty, traditional dishes. Elm Grove is also reknown for its breakfasts having won the Silver Award at the 2011 Pembrokeshire Tourism Awards for Finest Pembrokeshire Breakfast.
Café de Cymru Mushrooms (serves 4)
A twist on a French classic...
- 8 mushrooms (white/button) or 2 Portobello mushrooms per person
- 1 shallot / small onion
- Olive oil or other cooking oil
- ½ pint Welsh double cream
- 2 tablespoons of port
- ¼ small truckle of Perl Las cheese (or other blue cheese)
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- To one pan add cream and port and put on low heat until bubbling then remove from heat.
- In a separate pan add finely diced shallot to a splash of oil and fry until brown.
- Remove the shallots from the pan and place the mushrooms into the pan and cook on both sides until coloured, then add back in the onions and keep on low heat.
- While the mushrooms are on a low heat, re-heat the cream and port sauce in the separate pan and add the crumbled Perl Las to the sauce. Cook until the cheese has melted.
- Place the mushrooms and onion onto a serving plate and cover with the cream.
- Garnish with parsley - ideal as a starter.